Re: Bug: 20200525 release: invalid function: org-preserve-local-variable

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Bug: 20200525 release: invalid function: org-preserve-local-variables [9.3.6 (9.3.6-75-gb614ed-elpa @ /home/jgoerzen/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20200525/)]
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 01:53:40 +0000

John Goerzen writes:

> I recently have upgraded to org 20200525 from your package repo because
> org-roam requires a newer org-mode than I had.  GNU ELPA has 9.3.6,
> which would be new enough, but all of my machines fail downloading the
> tar of that version from ELPA with "invalid request", so I'm on
> 20200525.
>
> Many actions, and in particular refile, produce:
>
> Invalid function: org-preserve-local-variables
>
> and fail.
>
> (org-refile) is defined in org.el but why it doesn't seem to be seeing
> org-macs is beyond me.

I installed elpa/org-20200525 in a vanilla environment, and I wasn't
able to trigger any similar failures when refiling.  My best guess is
that it's due to an interaction with the older Org that comes built-in
with Emacs and lacks the org-preserve-local-variables macro.  It's
probably worth uninstalling/reinstalling, making sure the built-in Org
isn't loaded.