Re: emacs + org-mode in virtual machine/docker/...

From: Michael Welle
Subject: Re: emacs + org-mode in virtual machine/docker/...
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 19:14:26 +0200

Hello,

John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:

> yes it is interactive use I am most interested in. I am exploring this as a
> potential option for students to use in a class.
well, I don't do this for Emacs specifically, but for the compilers,
tools, etc. I need in operating system and systems programming courses.
A surprisingly huge number of students struggle with installing the
needed tools on their systems and it is always very time consuming for
us to try fix their problems (different OS, different compilers, etc.
ppp.). Since about a year I hand out pre-configured VM images that can
be imported into Virtualbox, VMWare, etc. That way we only need to
support the installation of a single product (we encourage the students
to use Virtualbox). That works out quite good. Typical problems are:
student can't figure out that their disk is full, virtualisation
extension of the hardware is disabled in firmware, student uses hardware
with not enough RAM or disk capacity. Very rarely the students own
hardware that don't allow to enable the virtualisation extension, I had
that once or twice. And there are always a few students who seem to have
strange random problems and when we ask for details the students don't
show up again.

Regards
hmw