Re: issue tracker?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: issue tracker?
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 16:38:01 +0200

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 10:18:27AM -0400, Anthony Carrico wrote:
> On 5/21/20 3:31 AM, Kévin Le Gouguec wrote:
> > I think you've just described, in order:
> >
> > - Debbugs (the issue tracking software),
>
> Yes, I almost mentioned that Debian uses an email based bug tracker, as
> a point of reference. I'm not familiar with the details, but I think it
> is header based,

Kind of: the metadata are in header-like "Name: value" lines, but in the
mail body (i.e. after the separating whitespace line).

> which is a big ask for users.

Typically you don't write those by hand (you don't write your mail
or HTTP headers by hand either -- at least not usually).

For command-line junkies there is a `reportbug' utility, which at
the same time collects some system information and prepares the
mail for you. The nice part is that the generated thing is text
based and you /can/ review or change it before sending.

Best of both worlds, I'd say.

There seem to be Emacs helpers for that [1] [2] (but I can't share
any experience on them).

Cheers
[1] https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsForDebian
[2] https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TinyDebian