Re: Possible bug with columnview and active dates

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: Possible bug with columnview and active dates
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 08:59:37 +0200

Hello,

Kyle Meyer <address@hidden> writes:

>> restoring the original behavior of stripping the brackets given how long
>> the current behavior has been around.  Instead I think it'd be better to
>> update the documentation and tweak the output on colview's end.
>
> For the "tweaking the output part", it looks this is already possible on
> the user's end via org-columns-modify-value-for-display-function.
> Here's a lightly tested function that I think does what you want:
>
>     (defun my/org-columns-remove-brackets (_title value)
>       (and (string-match org-ts-regexp value)
>            (match-string 1 value)))
>
>     (setq org-columns-modify-value-for-display-function
>           #'my/org-columns-remove-brackets)

For the record, the change was not intentional.

I agree it is not a good idea to leave a duplicate active time stamp in
a table.

IIRC, date computations in the spreadsheet return inactive timestamps.
So, if we don't want to conform to the documentation, we could insert an
inactive time-stamp instead, to be on the safe side.

WDYT?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou