Re: Reconciling org-mode idiosyncrasies with Emacs core

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: Reconciling org-mode idiosyncrasies with Emacs core
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 14:30:44 +0200

Hello,

Kévin Le Gouguec <address@hidden> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>                                               For example, having RET
>> inserting a plain newline would be a disaster in many locations.
>
> I don't think I've seen anybody advocating for that!  If you are
> referring to this bit:
>
>>   (Frustratingly, org-mode uses what I think of as the "old" convention
>>   to use RET as "plain newline" and C-j as "smart newline with indent".)

No I wasn't. I was referring to Juri Linkov's idea of providing a minor
mode to disable every single Org specific binding.

> Do you think a patch that
>
> - tweaked org-return (bound to RET) to default its INDENT argument to
>   the current value of electric-indent-mode,
>
> - tweaked org-return-indent (bound to C-j) to call
>   electric-newline-and-maybe-indent (the new default binding for C-j
>   everywhere else in Emacs, which takes care of consulting
>   electric-indent-mode) instead of newline-and-indent,
>
> would be well-received?  I would love to cook up such a patch, but I
> would be loath to break the workflows of long-time Org users who have
> come to rely on C-j indenting and RET inserting plain newlines …

It will break some workflows (mine, at least), undoubtedly, but it is
a step forward anyway. Org is a part of Emacs, there's no reason for the
former to follow a different path than the latter. Besides, undoing the
change is easy enough, since you only need to disable Electric Indent
mode.

The change will not appear overnight in Org, i.e., not in Org stable's
branch (Org 9.3.X), and it will be announced in ORG-NEWS. I do think it
is a very welcome change. Thank you.

I cleaned a bit Cc header and added Org mode list for further comments.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou