Re: negative values for EFFORT result in error when switching to column

From: Heiko Schmidt
Subject: Re: negative values for EFFORT result in error when switching to column view
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2020 17:03:07 +0200

On 06.04.20 12:13, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
Effort property accepts a specific, and well defined type of value:
a duration. Such values cannot be negative, as explained in the error
message.

You may, however, use a different property for your use-case, and apply
column view on it.

Regards,

This is exactly the reason why I'd love to have negative values for the durations. It would open the possibility of doing something like "accounting" of time.

I'm working with self defined duration units and it would be of great value to be able to calculate the balance for planned and done work time. I don't use clocking.

What'd be wrong about having -0:30 h, -30 min, -2.5 h, -3 d or -3 m? It'd be an addition no change so there would hoefully be no incompatibilities.

Maybe even 3m -3d be or -3m 3d could be of use.

As I see there is org-duration.el - Have the changes to be made only there?

Best Regards