Re: org-pop-mode

From: Mark E. Shoulson
Subject: Re: org-pop-mode
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 15:57:21 -0400

On 3/18/20 3:00 AM, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Any feedback?
>From the first glance it does not look too different from inline
headings. Could you highlight the difference?

Best,
Ihor

Well, it's true there is similarity.  I even found in my notes where I noticed inline tasks and their similarity, but all I wrote there was "but mine is different," so maybe that isn't so helpful.  I have not used inline tasks, and was only barely familiar with them (I did know they existed, though), so that is my excuse for having invented my own wheel.

In terms of differences, let's see:

inline tasks are, from a strict outline point-of-view, a zillion levels down (approximately), which makes them indent waaaay over if you're using org-indent-mode.  My org-pop is the "normal," expected single level down.

inline tasks mark the end of the task with a special header at the same level as the task.  Org-pop marks the end of the digression with a special header at the same level as the "base" (the surrounding text).  Your call as to what makes better sense.

inline tasks are well-integrated and worked deep into the innards of org-mode, to the point that it seems from looking at code that they cause something of a headache to developers with their exceptional behavior.  On the plus side, that means that many/most packages will Do the Right Thing in the face of inline tasks.  My org-pop is new and non-standard, with hacks to make a few key things work right with it, but doesn't have the support of... well, anything else.  I'm pretty sure exporting works well with inline tasks, but currently org-pop has no special tweaks for it (I'm not even sure what they should be).  This is a reason to stick with inline tasks.

Both approaches sinfully break the underlying outline-mode structure, which explicitly forbids exactly what we're trying to accomplish with them.  Inline tasks have (way) more seniority and support and indulgence for doing so, though.

I haven't experimented much with inline tasks as regards the two or three behaviors that I actually cared enough about to write org-pop; have to see if they do something like I would have wanted.

Thanks!

~mark