Re: Insert PROPERTIES drawer after heading creation

From: Diego Zamboni
Subject: Re: Insert PROPERTIES drawer after heading creation
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 16:37:35 +0100

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 2:14 PM Lawrence Bottorff <address@hidden> wrote:
Yes, thanks. That substring was a bad copy. Any insight why the (shell-command "uuidgen" t) wasn't working?

I hadn't looked at it yet, but the documentation for ="" gives the answer:

Execute string COMMAND in inferior shell; display output, if any.
With prefix argument, insert the COMMAND’s output at point.

So this function does not return a string that can be concatenated with others, it actually inserts the output in the buffer, so it's not guaranteed it will land where you need it.

To have the output of the command returned as a string, I think you should use =shell-command-to-string=.

--Diego