Re: Binding literal tab to C-Tab

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Binding literal tab to C-Tab
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2020 09:53:56 +0100

On Fri, Mar 06 2020, Josh wrote:
Hi all,

I have a need to insert literal tab characters into my org-mode files frequently. I would like to bind a key to insert literal tabs (ASCII 9). I thought Control-TAB would be a good option. So I inserted the following lines into my .emacs file. It works when in normal emacs, but not in org-mode. Is there a way to get this to work in org-mode? If this is a bad key combination
for org-mode, I'm ok switching to another key combo.

Well, C-TAB is already bound in Org (to `org-force-cycle-archived`), but if you have no use for that command, you can of course rebind it. Since `global-set-key` creates global bindings, which are shadowed by local bindings, your binding has no effect in Org buffers. You need to bind C-TAB in `org-mode-map`:

   (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-<tab>") #'my-insert-tab-char)

HTH

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments