Re: correct remote path handling

From: Jack Kamm
Subject: Re: correct remote path handling
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 07:54:28 -0800

Hi Felipe,

Felipe Lema <address@hidden> writes:

> I bumped into a problem running src blocks using a remote (tramp) :dir. I've
> looked into it and found that the problem is that a temporary file is passed
> as a remote path to the remote process (temp file should be local to remote
> process).

Thanks for finding this bug and submitting a patch to fix it.

> I'm attaching fixes for python and shell src blocks. I didn't add any tests
> because that would require more than 15 LOC.

I think it would be difficult to test for this, so I wouldn't worry too
much about it, but if you have ideas for how to do it that'd be great.

> I've signed the necessary papers from (to?) the FSF involving org mode, so
> I'm
> ready on my side to add tests and maybe add support for other tramp-related
> stuff.

Great, we should add you to the list of copyrighted contributors:
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html

CC'ing Bastien in case he wants to verify everything by private message
first.

>     fix evaluate python code in remote directory
>
>     Evaluating an "AST python code" should be local to the process /
>     directory.
>
>     `file-local-name` will do just this (strip the tramp prefix in path)

Please see https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#commit-messages
for information on how to properly format commit messages. You can also
take a look at the git log for examples.

> -                                tmp-src-file))))
> +                                (file-local-name
> +                                 tmp-src-file)))))

Instead of `file-local-name', the preferred function we use for this is
`org-babel-process-file-name'. It's used in a few other places in
ob-python.el as well.

It looks like this patch only handles the ":session :results value"
case, but ":session :results output" also suffers from this problem,
could you add a fix for that case as well?

For example, I tried to execute the following ":session :results output"
block within a remote Org file, with the following result:

#+begin_src python :session :results output
  x = 1+1
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: Traceback (most recent call last):
:   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
: IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/scp:pi:/tmp/python-NJwf2U'

> -                        (format "%s %s" shell-file-name script-file))
> +                        (format "%s %s" shell-file-name
> +                                (file-local-name script-file)))

As noted above, use `org-babel-process-file-name' instead of
`file-local-name'.

Also, I'm not sure the shell case is totally fixed by this, for example
trying to execute the following shell block within a remote Org file
still yields the error, even after applying your patch:

#+begin_src shell :shebang "#!/usr/bin/bash"
  echo foo
#+end_src

/bin/sh: 1: /scp:pi:/tmp/sh-script-8Z5fw7: not found