Org Babel: Submit SQL to command line app & capture results

From: Nathan Neff
Subject: Org Babel: Submit SQL to command line app & capture results
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 13:49:52 -0600

Hello all,

I would like to use org-babel to have SQL code like this:

* Some heading

#+begin_src something
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM some_table;
#+end_src

I would like to have the code highlighted as SQL.  However, I'm not reading
from a DB matching the requirements of https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-sql.html

What I would like to do when I run the code above is to:
1) simply take the contents of the code and push it into a tmp file
2) run a shell program on the tmp file:
impala-shell -f tmp file.txt
3) Capture the STDOUT from the above command

How would I do this using org-babel?  Create a new "language"?
Are there already similar implementations which basically take the contents
of the source code, save to a temp file then execute a standalone program
and capture results?

Again, I would like to have SQL style highlighting.

Thanks for pointers -- I'm sure this is something that's reasonably easy
to implement - I just don't want to start off on the wrong foo.t
--Nate