Feature request: shared radio targets with archive files

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Feature request: shared radio targets with archive files
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 18:35:09 +0100

Hi!

Only recently, I found radio targets[1] very handy to implement a
glossary within an Org file. This way, any instance of "PIM" can be
linked to one single definition of "- <<<PIM>>> :: Personal
Information Management" for example.

My question (and feature request):

Can somebody estimate on the effort and potential negative
implications (performance, caching issues, ...) when this feature
would be extended, so that radio targets of foo.org also work[2] in
foo.org_archive and vice versa?

I often have the use-case that I wrote down some definitions as
sub-heading to a task. Its related radio target gets a broken one as
soon as I archive the associated and finished task heading.

Example:

** Reading a paper on keyboards

This is highly relevant to PIM research.

[...]

** DONE Reading a paper about notebooks

*** Notes on the paper about notebooks

- <<<PIM>>> :: Personal Information Management
  - mentioned in the research chapter
- <<<ACME>>> :: Another common mediocre example
  - rings a bell somehow

The first PIM instance is highlighted and linked to its definition
below. As soon as the DONE task gets archived, the first PIM
instance is no longer linked to its definition since the related
target got moved to the archive.

Of course, *all* instances within the archive file are unlinked to
their definition targets in the non-archive file as well. The
example works both ways.

Thanks for your ideas

[1] https://orgmode.org/manual/Radio-Targets.html
[2] as in: "links in both files get highlighted" and "all links can
    be followed to their target"

--
get mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML into Org-mode:
Personal Information Management > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/pim/
Emacs-related > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/emacs/