Re: ICS agenda export exceeds max-specpdl-size probably because of org-d

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: ICS agenda export exceeds max-specpdl-size probably because of org-depend (org-edna same?)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 15:26:01 +0100

* Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Karl,

Hi,

> another suggestion: just send us a minimal extract of your files so
> that we see how org-depend is called, together with what you do and
> what goes wrong when you do it.  Perhaps this will lead to something.

Sure.

https://github.com/novoid/dot-emacs/blob/master/config.org contains:

| (setq my-user-emacs-directory "~/.emacs.d/")
| (use-package org-depend
|   :load-path  (lambda () (expand-file-name (concat my-user-emacs-directory
"contrib/org-mode/contrib/lisp/")))
| )

... which loads org-depend from my maint Org mode (currently: 9.3
(release_9.3-102-gd20e45.dirty @ mixed installation![...]).

I only use org-depend for:

* TODO Example 1
:PROPERTIES:
:ID: 2020-02-20-foo
:END:

* TODO Example 2
:PROPERTIES:
:BLOCKER: 2020-02-20-foo
:END:

Very rarely, I am using:

* TODO Example 3
:PROPERTIES:
:TRIGGER: 2020-02-20-foo
:END:

Most of the time, source-destination are within the same file. However, in some
cases of using BLOCKER, the two headings might be in two different files.

That's basically it: mostly BLOCKER and a few TRIGGER. I'm unsure if there is
currently a TRIGGER that is still waiting to be activated.

(By the way: is there a built-in feature to look for IDs that are linked
somewhere (BLOCKER properties or ID links) that are broken?)

Ad "what goes wrong when you do it": in my daily work, org-depend is
working fine. The only thing that does not work is exporting my
agenda with:

| emacs --batch --load /home/vk/.emacs.d/init.el --eval '(progn
(my-export-agenda))'

and:

|  (defun my-export-agenda()
|    "Exports Org-mode agenda to ics file"
|    (interactive)
|    (save-some-buffers)
|
|    ;; I don't want the error messages in my exported agenda:
|    (setq org-agenda-files (remove "~/org/errors.org" org-agenda-files))
|
|    (setq max-specpdl-size 10000) ;; does not solve issue
|    (setq max-lisp-eval-depth 50000) ;; does not solve issue
|
|    (org-agenda-list nil nil 60)
|    (org-agenda-write (concat my-user-emacs-directory
"var/export/agenda-export.ics"))
|    )

With disabled org-depend, it is working and finishes in ~5 minutes. With
enabled org-depend it (sometimes) end up in an error as described. This can
take hours.

> I've never used org-edna, I'm curious to know if there are many users.

Me too ;-)

It's a bit more complicated in syntax but has advanced features org-depend does
not offer. The main reason why I'm thinking of switching is that org-edna
supports something like TRIGGER that also adds relative SCHEDULED date-stamps.
This allows for "if $THAT task gets done, mark $NEXT task as a TODO item and
add a SCHEDULED with three days in the future" which is very handy in some
cases.

> Thanks,

Oh, it's me, who is very thankful, considering the tricky situation to
investigate this issue.

--
get mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML into Org-mode:
Personal Information Management > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/pim/
Emacs-related > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/emacs/