Re: Survey: changing a few default settings for Org 9.4

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Survey: changing a few default settings for Org 9.4
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 17:16:44 +0100

On Wed, Feb 19 2020, Matthew Lundin wrote:
- org-hide-emphasis-markers => t
- org-hide-macro-markers => t
[...]
I have a few concerns about this. I believe that markup syntax, as a rule, should be visible. Most markdown editors do not hide markup by default. I realize that there are some exceptions in Org (e.g., links). But editing around the invisible boundaries of links can be in Org can be fussy (sometimes I have to do M-x visible-mode when editing near the
edges of links). So I'd recommend not changing the default here,
especially for emphasis markers.

I was going to say the same thing. I set `org-hide-emphasis-markers` to t when I started out using Org, but at some point changed it to `nil` because editing at the beginning/end of words in emphasis markers was just too unpredictable. Same with links, BTW.

What I'm wondering, though, is why Org doesn't make hidden markup visible when the cursor moves into it. `prettify-symbols-mode` can do this, and AUCTeX does it by default (IINM) in folded macros and preview snippets, so it's definitely doable.

So my suggestion would be to keep it off unless/until such make-visible-at-point functionality is implemented.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments