Re: Provide org-insert-subitem

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Provide org-insert-subitem
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 09:04:25 +0100

Hi Adam,

First of all, don't be afraid, I don't have a grand plan for "cleaning
up" things.

> I'm not sure what you mean about functions mentioned as usable by the
> user.  org-insert-subheading is an interactive command, so it's
> explicitly usable by the user.

Yes, org-insert-subheading is interactive and usable and in Org's core
but how can a user *discover* this command?

There is no keybinding for it and no mention in the manual.  Even as a
function, it is not even used in Org codebase.

The ways I can see for a user to discover this command is by trying to
complete M-x org-insert TAB or by reading Org's code (or other code in
the wild using it.)

So to me it's a "utility" command: something that Org does not depend
on, something that provides a useful feature, but not useful enough to
have a keybinding in Org's core or to be used as a function in Org's
core.

> And it's in org.el, so it's in Org's
> "core", right?  I guess we're thinking in different terms.

Well, my thinking is not about core vs not-core, it is more on how to
advertize such commands and functions.  I would recommand putting them
in org-utils.el but I'm not sure.  And yes, I'm not entirely convinced
such a library, if it existed, should live in Org's core :)

Best,

--
 Bastien