Re: Emacs hangs sometimes for no reason

From: Karl Voit
Subject: Re: Emacs hangs sometimes for no reason
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 10:09:59 +0100

* briangpowell . <address@hidden> wrote:

> Emacs periodically saves all files that you are visiting; this is called
> auto-saving . Auto-saving prevents you from losing more than a limited
> amount of work if the system crashes. By default, auto-saves happen every
> 300 keystrokes, or after around 30 seconds of idle time.
>
> Suggest you try making your auto-save-interval variable much larger and see
> if that helps

I had to disable auto-save because I'm using org-crypt which would
leak sensitive information to my disk (+ git repository).

I'm using real-auto-save instead.

> Also suggest making smaller .org files when practical

Way too late for that ;-) So far, I've found no one with bigger Org
files. I plan to blog about small versus big Org files in the
upcoming weeks.

However, your suggestions are valid points for the general
situation.

--
get mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML into Org-mode:
Personal Information Management > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/pim/
Emacs-related > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/emacs/