Re: Emacs hangs sometimes for no reason

From: briangpowell .
Subject: Re: Emacs hangs sometimes for no reason
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 17:23:52 -0500

Emacs periodically saves all files that you are visiting; this is called auto-saving . Auto-saving prevents you from losing more than a limited amount of work if the system crashes. By default, auto-saves happen every 300 keystrokes, or after around 30 seconds of idle time.

Suggest you try making your auto-save-interval variable much larger and see if that helps

Also suggest making smaller .org files when practical

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 7:33 AM Karl Voit <address@hidden> wrote:
* Sebastian Christ <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> in the last couple weeks (perhaps months?) Emacs hangs for no specific
> reason for me. The single constant is, that when it hangs, it hangs
> while I'm in org-mode. This occurs on multiple circumstance as
>
> - changing the outline structure by demoting and promoting headline
> - when refiling
> - re-schedule in agenda
> - yanking
> - perhaps more

Same here with 3 different Emacs versions.

> The strange thing is that it happens unpredictably, e.g. I re-schedule
> 11 items without problems and the 12th one lets Emacs crash. Sometimes
> it works for days without problems and then I promote a headline and
> Emacs crashes. Very sad :(

I did not have a crash here, though.

> My actual question is, had someone had similar issues? Or is it just me
> with my configuration?
>
> Perhaps someone can guide me on how I can find the root cause for this?
> I pretty much lost here.
>
> Thanks in advance for any hints.

In a discussion on Org/Emacs scalability issues, I got a hint[1] to use
gcmh.el which indicates garbage collecting activity. My
freeze-moments are almost entirely related to garbage collecting.

You might want to try that.

I've got no solution or workaround so far.

[1] https://www.reddit.com/r/orgmode/comments/e9p84n/scaling_org_better_to_use_more_medsize_files_or/fcm5bsc/

--
get mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML into Org-mode:
Personal Information Management > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/pim/
Emacs-related > http://Karl-Voit.at/tags/emacs/