Re: org-babel strange html print in R

From: Jack Kamm
Subject: Re: org-babel strange html print in R
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2020 17:30:37 -0800

Hi Jeremie,

> Thanks for the info.
> Unfortunately I couldn't identify the issue
> I updated R and org (org 9.3.2, R 3.6.2).
> but I'm still getting [the error]

Sorry, I missed the initial property line where you set the ":session"
header argument.

When I set the ":session" header argument, I get the original buggy
behavior that you report.

It looks like the reason for this, is that the substrings like "tr>"
match `comint-prompt-regexp', and so get stripped out by
`org-babel-comint-with-output'.

I think a more reliable implementation would be to avoid
`org-babel-comint-with-output', and take the approach used in the
":results value" case, which reads the output from a temp file instead
of directly from the shell.

Actually, that's the approach I use in my ob-session-async package [0],
which re-implements ob-R sessions to allow async evaluation. It doesn't
suffer from the bug you are reporting. I'll plan to extract that
implementation and submit it as a patch here.

Long term, I am intending to contribute the full functionality in
ob-session-async here, but that's still a ways off.

[0] https://github.com/jackkamm/ob-session-async

Jack