Re: org-startup-truncated default should be nil [legibility 2/6]

From: Fraga, Eric
Subject: Re: org-startup-truncated default should be nil [legibility 2/6]
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 12:40:08 +0000

On Thursday,  6 Feb 2020 at 20:09, Texas Cyberthal wrote:
> A blank line is useful, yes. Use of demi-paragraphs implies use of
> line breaks to signal stronger transitions. E.g., from my recent
> workflow:

I get this.  My own approach is to simply use - at the start of the line
and then each of these demi-paragraphs becomes a list item which are
wrapped nicely (whether with visual or fill mode).

> What vanilla Emacs Org default visual-line-mode is missing for
> informal prose notes:
> - recognize sentences with a single space after terminal punctuation

Does for me.  Maybe I've customized something... that's the problem with
a .emacs file that has elements that date back 37 years... ;-)

> - word wrap

Not sure what you mean here.  Visual mode does this; so does fill
mode.  What I am failing to understand from you is your frequent
reference to truncation but then wanting wrapping?  I'm obviously
missing something.

> - more line spacing and a variable pitch font

This is "look and feel" and easily addressed, as others have noted, by a
theme.

> - denote single line breaks with the absence of continuation marks, as
> truncate lines nil does

What about turning on whitespace-mode?

> visual-line-mode's minor luxury of slightly easier navigation to
> arbitrary visual line endpoints doesn't compensate for loss of the
> critical ability to identify logical lines with single line breaks,
> and the loss of keybinds for quick navigation to their endpoints.

So turn off line-move-visual.

I guess what I am saying is what I said earlier: a simple org mode hook
with some settings would be all the customization you would need to
achieve your desired writing experience and could easily be an example
early in the org mode manual.

Does spacemacs initialise things they way you want them?  If so, go with
it but I guess there are other things about spacemacs that you do not
like?

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.2-233-gc2bc48