Re: org-startup-truncated default should be nil [legibility 2/6]

From: Texas Cyberthal
Subject: Re: org-startup-truncated default should be nil [legibility 2/6]
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 17:46:21 +0800

auto-fill-mode definitely isn't what I want. Beyond that I don't
understand your question.

I doubt it's productive to reiterate my legibility critiques since
I've concluded they're more appropriate for Spacemacs.

> the solution may simply be some example org mode hooks with, say, settings
> for writing prose and have these in the org mode manual?

Sounds like a step in the right direction.

It sounds like vanilla Emacs' primary mission is to be the common
component between all configurations, and to be by the devs and for
the devs. Greybeard compatibility is big due to the proliferation of
heavily individualized configs. It can be user-friendly for dev noobs
but not normie noobs.

In that light, leaving Org's defaults no different than an IDE's makes sense.

That leaves Spacemacs being to vanilla Emacs as Ubuntu is to Debian.
Spacemacs is crowd-configured and vanilla Emacs isn't.

It doesn't make sense for vanilla Emacs to be more normie-noob
friendly than Spacemacs, so I feel most of my Org legibility
suggestions should be implemented on Spacemacs before vanilla, if at
all.

Vanilla documentation incompatibility due to distro drift isn't as bad
as I thought, thanks to Emacs being self-documenting. I think I can
construct a decent normie-noob adoption funnel in Spacemacs, based off
the tutorial, friendly defaults, and probably a tutorial layer. In
other words, create the equivalent of Ubuntu Mint.

Once someone starts living in Emacs, they'll eventually reach sage
status. It's just a matter of easing them in.