Re: org-startup-truncated default should be nil [legibility 2/6]

From: Texas Cyberthal
Subject: Re: org-startup-truncated default should be nil [legibility 2/6]
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 10:43:26 +0800

> many users need fully maximized emacs while still having legible paragraph
> width.

Splitting windows vertically creates narrower columns. Unlike
truncation etc, window management actually is something all noobs must
learn.

Narrower columns can increase reading speed, to a point. But wide
columns aren't actively uncomfortable. It isn't important for noobs to
be fast; they're slow anyway. Reducing disorientation, frustration and
distraction is the priority.

Full width is bad for detailed reading, but it's great for skimming
the document overview. Half width is 80 chars on my primary display.
The default fill column is 70.

It's reasonable to expect users will set font size so that vertical
window split results in a comfortable paragraph width. It's
unreasonable to expect they will hit M-q constantly to refill
paragraphs.