Re: customizing Org for legibility

From: Jack Kamm
Subject: Re: customizing Org for legibility
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2020 08:17:40 -0800

> One thing I don't understand: It seems that GUI and terminal modes are
> completely different. Rather than constrain GUI defaults to terminal
> limitations, it makes sense to gracefully degrade them when a terminal
> is detected. I assume that terminal users don't care about variable
> pitch. They're likely doing sysadmin, with little or no prose
> interaction.

Personally, I run emacs in daemon mode, and often have both GUI and
terminal emacsclients connected to the same session. So I like to have
settings that work well in both.

I agree terminal users typically won't want variable pitch, but disagree
that they are generally doing sysadmin -- I know users who use org-mode
for their notes, but prefer to use emacs in the terminal.

Speaking to my own preferences -- I prefer fixed-width for editing text,
whether it's prose or code. For example, if I execute a command to move
the cursor down 10 lines, I like to know where my cursor is going to end
up. Fixed-width also works better for certain editing commands, such as
rectangle commands.

I am not sure what the majority preference is here, but it would be
interesting to know, and also how it distributes across old-timers and
newcomers. Ideally, it should be easy to accommodate all preferences,
with a small amount of configuration and easily discoverable
documentation.