RE: attachment: link type export to HTML invalid attach dir

From: Gustav Wikström
Subject: RE: attachment: link type export to HTML invalid attach dir
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 14:29:47 +0000

Hi,

Hmm, interesting... And are we sure the destructive behavior is something we
want to maintain? I for one would vote for the parsers ability to provide
information that can reconstruct the source... Is it really worth the space
saving in the parse tree to do that destruction? I feel inclined here to add a
:link and :raw-path property to the output from the link parser for example.
That would allow those links that expand to be stored in the parse tree in both
expanded and non-expanded form.

Reasons against?

> Besides, there's no good reason to store redundant, or even remote,
> information in the parse tree. The parser needs to be as low level as
> possible.

Yes, this is a reason against... But big enough? I humbly question that a bit.
Also, would it be feasible to store the original "raw" form only if it differs
from the expanded form? It may complicate the interpreters work though... They
would have to have a bit more insight into when the original form will be
needed. Not sure of the better design decision here.

> Moreover, the issue encountered here is specific to export, so it makes
> sense to solve at the export level, i.e., in "ox.el". This is not trivial
> though, as it needs to be done very early, much link footnotes.
> Indeed, since the meaning of the link is position dependent, including
> parts of a document, or executing arbitrary code can mess it up. IOW
> expansion should happen in `org-export--prepare-file-contents', i.e.,
> within every included piece of text, and in `org-export-as', somewhere
> after `org-export-expand-include-keyword' call, but before Babel code
> execution.

It's actually not only specific to exporting. Opening attachment links show a
similar issue (org-link-open). Because the current way to open files and
attachments differ. And it shouldn't have to! That as well would be solved if
the link parser would take care of the path expansion. One example of the
difference today is that attachment links cannot abide to any prefix argument.
As a user I would expect the prefix arguments that work for files to also work
for attachments. Something I think we can fix here, by making the parser do a
little bit more work. I'd be happy to apply a patch.

Kind regards
Gustav