Re: Displaying remote images

From: Jack Kamm
Subject: Re: Displaying remote images
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 17:39:10 -0800

Hi Brian,

> Emacs and OrgMode do many great things; but, the focus has always been, at
> it's core, the most powerful editor and stateless organizing software--it's
> not a browser of dynamically generated Internet pics--Emacs W3 was created
> to do that, and it hasn't been updated in years--suggest you look at Emacs
> W3 browser code and/or w3m browser or even UZBL browser--all of which were
> made into good extensions for doing such things--UZBL by the way has been
> made to operate fully encapsulated in an emacs buffer

I'm not looking for a browser of dynamically generated Internet pics --
I would just like to display a static image that lives on an SSH server
somewhere.

In particular, my use-case is for making plots with a remote R session
via org-babel. I want those plots to display correctly in the org-file
I'm working in (which may also be on the remote server).

> * Idea 3
> Use the patch you reference and create your own .el program that gets
> loaded and run when you want it--a cursory examination of the patch
> reveals that it depends on ImageMagick which is great software that
> everyone should use; but, it's a dependency that is NOT emacs software and
> so it makes sense that it was never put into the main OrgMode software tree

The patch does not add any dependency on ImageMagick -- those references
to imagemagick existed before the patch, and are still in org.el today.

> * Idea 1
> Create a "cron job" or "at job" that does updates up to the minute and make
> those images current...and local--and the cron job can auto-delete the temp
> file later or back it up
>
> * Idea 2
> Make an elisp .el program that gets loaded and run whenever you open the
> .org file with the remote image...and that code updates the images locally

These are interesting ideas, but I'm only interested in looking at
static images, so they seem a bit like overkill for my desired use case.