Re: org 9.2.6 and org 9.1.9

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: org 9.2.6 and org 9.1.9
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 07:29:24 +0100

Tim Cross <address@hidden> writes:

> I would agree that org should be a package in elpa and not bundled into emacs
> core. The user can then choose which version to install (ignoring the package
> dependency problem).

I disagree with removing Org-mode from Emacs core, as I've explained elsewhere.

> This won't fix all the issues as anyone installing a new major version when
> an existing version is already loaded will run into the same problems. Bottom
> line, as org stands now, upgrading when org is already loaded is problematic.

It would be very unfortunate if we removed Org-mode from Emacs core
with the sole motivation to band-aid an issue with upgrading packages
in package.el.

So I would put your above argument more bluntly: removing Org-mode
from Emacs core would be to sweep the problem under the rug.
package.el is still broken.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas