Re: org 9.2.6 and org 9.1.9

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: org 9.2.6 and org 9.1.9
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 14:15:26 -0500

Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden> writes:

> org 9.1.9 is a built-in
>
> but org 9.2.6 comes as a dependency to some packages and having both
> installed creates conflicts.

What conflicts are you seeing? I have the built-in 9.1.9 org that
comes with emacs but I run (close to) latest master and I see no
problems: the only thing I do is to set my load-path to point to the
right place (and make sure that that setting precedes the
/usr/local/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/org setting that emacs adds):

    (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/elisp/org-mode/lisp"))

Although that has been enough for me, it's probably safer to delete
from load-path all other org entries, thereby making the built-in
version invisible to emacs - in my case, I just have the one:

   (delete "/usr/local/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/org" load-path)

That way, if you happen to do something like `(require 'old-org-req)'
with a requirement that is not satisfied by current org, but is
satisfied by the built-in org, you'd get an error, rather than getting
a mixed installation.

> Why does that happen ?
>
> Can't 9.2.6 override 9.1.9 ? It's not the first time I have issues
> with that situation and that's extremely confusing. What is the best
> way to solve that ?

I think the above should be enough (and IME it is), but maybe someone can
think of other things that might trip one up.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler