Re: How to move from inline tasks to drawers? [was: How to change the wi

From: Fraga, Eric
Subject: Re: How to move from inline tasks to drawers? [was: How to change the width of a latex exported inlinetask?]
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2019 13:50:26 +0000

On Saturday,  2 Nov 2019 at 14:01, address@hidden wrote:
> You also said that you had "already moved to using drawers for a large
> number of [your] inline task use cases, the ones that weren't really
> tasks!".  Is this consistent with your "almost completely" above?
> This leads me to the question of what precisely _defines_ a "task";

Good question!  I guess, for me, a task is one that will appear in my
agenda so has a TODO state (possibly) and/or scheduling/deadline
information.  But the distinction is rather blurry.

So, in fact, when I am working on a long document, I have tasks of the
"must improve this section" type which are not tasks for scheduling (the
whole document is itself a task) or "notes" for processing later (by
myself or by others involved in the same document).  I use drawers for
these types of activities.  I then use the export formatting options to
make the pseudo-tasks and notes appear differently in the exported
output, whether for sharing or for printing/display.  So, for instance,
I look for ":todo:" and ":note:" drawers.

If the document I am working on is a coursework or test, I use drawers
for storing the solutions, e.g. a drawer called ":solution:"!  For this,
for instance, I have the following elisp in the document that is invoked
when I open the document:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (setq-local org-latex-format-drawer-function
              (lambda (name contents)
                (cond ((string= name "solution")
                       (format "\\begin{mdframed}\\paragraph{Solution.}
%s\\end{mdframed}" contents))
                      (t (format "\\textbf{%s}: %s" name contents))
                      )))
#+end_src

together with

#+latex_header: \usepackage[backgroundcolor=yellow!10!white]{mdframed}

to make the solution stand out clearly.

The nice thing about drawers is I can turn them on or off for exporting
via the "d:" document option:

HTH,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.2.6-552-g8c5a78