Re: [O] Feature Proposal: Titled Paragraphs

From: Julius Müller
Subject: Re: [O] Feature Proposal: Titled Paragraphs
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 09:50:17 +0200

Am 23.10.19 um 16:18 schrieb Dominik Schrempf:
> I agree with this proposal. At some point I already asked if the following
> structure is possible:
>
> #+begin_example
> * Title
> ** Section I
> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Donec hendrerit
> tempor
> tellus. Donec pretium posuere tellus. Proin quam nisl, tincidunt et, mattis
> eget, convallis nec, purus. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis
> parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Nulla posuere. Donec vitae dolor.
> Nullam tristique diam non turpis. Cras placerat accumsan nulla. Nullam rutrum.
> Nam vestibulum accumsan nisl.
>
> Another paragraph that is not related to Section I, but doesn't deserve a
> section title. Another paragraph that is not related to Section I, but doesn't
> deserve a section title. Another paragraph that is not related to Section I,
> but
> doesn't deserve a section title. Another paragraph that is not related to
> Section I, but doesn't deserve a section title.
> #+end_example
>
> With titled paragraphs, this document structure could be achieved.

Only if you are very restrictive about it, as you hit a fundamental
problem of org markup here, a problem it shares with (La)TeX, HTML, all
printed books I'm aware of, and a lot of other formats. Org and (La)TeX
only markup the start of a section, not its end. Thus it would be
difficult to tell your construct apart from other kind of structures.

Contrary to your view, in the (La)TeX-world \paragraph is usually seen
as just another hierarchical level of document structuring. It is a
heading (with a weird default of not standing on a line of its own), and
it does NOT solely belong to the one paragraph it starts. In fact, with
your view, (La)TeX's \subparagraph macro would not make any sense at
all. That means, adding \paragraph in your sense will break document
structure the moment you also have nesting deeper than 3 (or 4 for
book-like formats).

Julius