Re: [O] Org babel tangle: Don't export code

From: Nathan Neff
Subject: Re: [O] Org babel tangle: Don't export code
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 20:43:31 -0500

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 8:19 PM Tim Cross <address@hidden> wrote:

There are two different concepts - tangling and exporting. When you
tangle the file, code blocks are written out into code files (possibly
with evaluation etc). This is part of the 'literate programming' support
within org.

Yep - thanks - it's just easy to conflate the two :-)

When you export a file, you are exporting the file
contents into a different format i.e PDF, HTML, markdown etc. By
default, code blocks are not evaluated during this process - they are
just exported 'as-is'. However, sometimes, these code blocks are used to
generate content in the file, so you do want them to be evaluated during
the export (for example, to create a 'results' section, generate an
image that is embedded in the file etc).

So, if you 'export' your emacs init org file as PDF, it will be exported
as a PDF file where the source blocks will appear as source listings in
the PDF file along with all the other non source block text. If on the
other hand, you tangle your emacs init org file, it will create an .el
file with only the source blocks.

--
Tim Cross