[O] Cannot display local images with orgmode under macOS

From: Zhengyu Duan
Subject: [O] Cannot display local images with orgmode under macOS
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 10:33:03 +0800

* The problem

    Orgmode under macOS cannot display local images correctly, but it can display internet images without problem.

    I tried both emacs-mac and emacs-plus, they both have this image problem. But emacs under ArchLinux don’t have this problem.

    [[file:xxx.png]]                              cannot be displayed even the file exists.
    [[./xxx.png]]                                  cannot be displayed even the file exists.
    [[http://example.org/xxx.png]]      can be displayed if the link exists.

    Emacs can display any images with C-x C-f xxx.png. The problem happens only with orgmode.

* The reason

    After bisecting org-mode source code I found out that this commit causes the problem:

    https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode/commit/48da60f47a77f4b99b4160fa620f258896ff4da3

    Reverting to previous commit fixes the problem.

    I’m new to Emacs and don’t understand the code of this commit. I cannot do further investigation.

* Screenshot

   File content:

    [[./cacochan.png]]

    [[https://github.com/hlissner/doom-emacs/raw/screenshots/cacochan.png]]