Re: [O] R-generated images not showing

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] R-generated images not showing
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 17:06:25 -0400

William Denton <address@hidden> writes:

> This problem started for me a little while ago:  images generated from R
> source
> blocks no longer appear even though I have images display turned on.
>
> For example, this file:
>
> # -----
>
> #+begin_src R :results graphics file :file /tmp/src.png
> x <- seq(-4, 4, length=200)
> y <- dnorm(x, mean=0, sd=1)
> plot(x,y, type = "l", lwd = 2, xlim = c(-3.5,3.5))
> #+end_src
>
> #+RESULTS:
> [[file:/tmp/src.png]]
> # -----
>
> I don't see the image, I just see the text "file:/tmp/src.png".  When
> image-display is off (C-c C-x C-v) it becomes a link, and when I toggle it
> back
> on it's just plain text.
>
> The file on disk really is there and is a valid image.
>
> If I run the three R lines in an ESS window (M-x R) then the image pops up in
> its own window, as normal.
>
> I ran "emacs -Q" and loaded up Org and enough Babel stuff to the source block
> work, and the image appeared inline as it should!  So it's something to do
> with
> my config [1] but I can't figure out what.
>
> Has anyone ever had this happen, or noticed it recently?  I'm compiling Emacs
> and Org from source and both are current.  I'm not sure what the easiest way
> identify the problem is.

The usual method is to bisect your setup-orgmode.el file: comment out
the bottom half and if that makes it work, then you know that the
problem is in the part that you commented out. Recursively, bisect
further.

I downloaded your setup-org.el and tried it out. There are two things
that I commend out: the (use-package org-bullets ...) stuff - the
`emacs -Q -l setup-orgmode.el' complained about use-package and I was
too lazy to add whatever is necessary to get it and the (add-hook
'org-mode-hook wrap-region-mode) stuff because I don't have
wrap-region-mode installed. With those two deletions, I see no
problem.  I doubt that the problem is with org-bullets, so try getting
rid of wrap-region-mode and see if that does the trick. Of course, it
may be that there is some interaction between your Org mode setup and
all the *other* setup that you do, but bisecting is still the way to
go.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler