Re: [O] BUG? Extra colon for inherited tags in agenda

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] BUG? Extra colon for inherited tags in agenda
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2019 08:53:17 +0200

Hi David

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 1:14 AM David Masterson <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 5, 2019, 00:45 David Masterson <address@hidden> wrote:

>>  I see that, for tags picked up via inheritance from parent headlines,
>>  when the tags are produced in the agenda, the current agenda item will
>>  have an extra colon after the inherited tags.  Is this by design?

> Yes, it is by design, for display in the agenda only, to show the
> difference between direct and inherited tags.
>
> Why would. You want to change it?

Maybe not. Didn't remember seeing it in the documentation, so, at first,
I thought it might be a bug, but it made sense after I thought about it.
As to in the agenda only, I could also see this being something that
export backend might want access to (if it doen't already have access
to it).  Other than that, it's good.

Yes, if an export backend wanted to show inherited tags at entries, the same syntax could be used.  I don't know if any backend is trying to show inherited tags.

In the Agenda this is necessary because entries are shown outside of their normal hierarchy.  In an Org buffer, or in an exported version of it, the original hierarchy is still in place.

Cheers

Carsten

--
David