[O] Strange interaction between ID block property, org-schedule and ical

From: rey-coyrehourcq
Subject: [O] Strange interaction between ID block property, org-schedule and ical/ics export backend
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2019 20:42:33 +0200

Hi,

I'm starting using org-mode to replace asana, clickup, and other tools to manage my work.

I'm trying to create a day-to-day workflow with org-mode, org-agenda Schedule and iCalendat-export backend.

1) What exactly did you do

After creating a new entry, i run (org-id-get-create) to get a permanent ID properties :

* Heading 1
:PROPERTIES:
:ID: xxxxxxxxxxx
:END:
foo

2) what did you expect to happen

I run org-schedule (c-c c-s), choosing a date, and Schedule date is added AFTER block of property.

* Heading 1
:PROPERTIES:
:ID: xxxxxxxxxxx
:END:
foo
SCHEDULED <...-....-...>

3) What happened instead

Scheduled block is added between the HEADING and the property block...

* Heading 1
SCHEDULED <...-....-...>
:PROPERTIES:
:ID: xxxxxxxxxxx
:END:
foo

4) Problem with icalendar export ?

Normally org-caldav-generate-ics export command reuse the ID from property block to generate the *.ics,
but it only works if the SCHEDULED block is after the property block.

So in this case, icalendar export generate a new UID, and don't consider the ID which already exist.

--

Sébastien Rey-Coyrehourcq
Research Engineer UMR IDEES

{Stronger security for your email, follow EFF tutorial : https://ssd.eff.org/}