Re: [O] org-drill extremely slow with Org 9.2.5

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] org-drill extremely slow with Org 9.2.5
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 18:37:12 -0400

 One thing I used to do with org-drill is learn names from photos, e.g. I would put an image of a student with the answer corresponding to their name. This doesn't seem possible with pamparam at the moment because the links to images get broken when the cards are copied into the directory. Do you (Oleh) know how difficult it would be to make that happen? One way to do it might be to fix the paths of any image links to point to the right place.

I have a new roster to learn, so if you can point me in the right direction, and it works, I would be happy to submit a pull request on it!

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803

On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 4:30 PM Oleh Krehel <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Milan,

> Are there any tricks to speed it up?

I noticed org-drill being slow three years ago when I tried to learn it.
So I wrote my own package: https://github.com/abo-abo/pamparam/.
It's quite fast: it takes 0.6s to sync my 3300 cards from the master Org file.
And day-to-day learning operations like building a schedule or
fetching a card are instantaneous.
The master file is relatively small, since it stores no metadata: less
than 10000 lines.
The metadata is stored per-card, each card is in its own file. The
whole thing is backed by Git.
All your learning sessions are stored in commits as well.

Check it out. It might have less features, but it's really fast and
has served me well.

regards,
Oleh