Re: [O] NLS/Augment

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [O] NLS/Augment
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 10:43:46 +0200

* Steve Quezadas <address@hidden> [2019-08-12 05:59]:
> Guys,
>
> This is a slightly offtopic, but I've been using org-mode and I love love
> loveit. Was the writing of org-mode related in any way to Douglas
> Engelbart's NLS/Augment system? A lot of the features seem to crossover. Or
> is this simply coincidence?

I have been watching the demonstration on these pages:
http://dougengelbart.org/content/view/216/000/#Augment

and videos by Christina Engelbart,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLCGFadV4FqU15vunAfsTDzeEPnHDaf7n0&v=STRuciV6L38

Org mode look similar to that Augment browser, definitely. With
differences. But it looks as nice information management system.

It would be good that Org mode gets some kind of "buttons follow the
mouse" feature upon turning it on, just as shown on this video:
https://vimeo.com/81238285

as that would then easy mouse actions to open outlines, close
outlines.

The Augment hierarchy reminds more on Koutline from GNU Hyperbole:
https://www.gnu.org/software/hyperbole/ and <links> remind more to
Hyperbole type of explicit buttons, which can be used together with
Org mode.

As I understand Internet and hyperlinks owe much to Doug Engelbert, as
he apparently invented many computing features that we use today.

HyperScope is free software that works in browsers:
http://hyperscope.org/

Jean