Re: [O] exported contacts problem

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [O] exported contacts problem
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2019 12:33:40 +0200

* Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> [2019-08-03 02:27]:
> Okay, thanks for that run-down, pretty interesting. I've written a
> package called EBDB[1] that's meant to be sort of an update to BBDB, and
> while I think someone's using it with tens of thousands of contacts,
> 192k records would probably exhaust it. It has pluggable data stores,
> however, one of which will (eventually) be a proper external database,
> so I'm always interested in how people are using this stuff.
>
> Eric
>
> [1] https://github.com/girzel/ebdb

I have tried it. It has good concepts and integration. But I cannot
switch to it.

Please, if you intend to make vcard import, don't make vcard stuff
bundled with the ebdb, you will make repeated mistake.

Make one vcard import package that give elisp structure, something
like hash or alist, plist, whatever is better.

Then such package is best to contribute to GNU Emacs.

Then all other packages can use vcard import.

This makes much sense rather than making it single-package oriented.

I don't think that vCard complexity is necessary for contacts,
standard is invented, but is too complex. But if you are doing it,
than such feature can contribute to overall usage.

Jean