Re: [O] exported contacts problem

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] exported contacts problem
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2019 17:26:10 -0700

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> * Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> [2019-08-02 23:11]:
>> > Neither bbdb nor Org is suitable for any serious collection of
>> > contacts. I have 192,000+ contacts, and when they are in database and
>> > I am using PostgreSQL, it gives me most of benefits, I can sort people
>> > into lists, groups, I can contact them, count interactions, open up
>> > their files, emails with a fast command, edit their data, add notes,
>> > send them faxes and SMS, maintain relations.
>>
>> That sounds pretty intense. Have you written a separate package for
>> interacting with the database?
>
> I wrote few generic functions and use it with helm, it works for
> me. It is not ready for public. Web interface works based on Gedafe[1]
> and then I wrote access to it through console Common Lisp and then
> also through Emacs Lisp.
>
> I am using Emacs module `emacs-libpq'[2] to interact with PostgreSQL.
>
> Let's say I am looking for somebody, Hyper-C asks me for query, I
> enter something, then I can choose to open Org file relating to the
> person. When dealing with various companies, things related to a
> company shall be in the directory related to company. Things related
> to person, for example assignments related to one person shall be in
> the file belonging to that person.
>
> That way full file can be sent to the person for review, it becomes
> clear what has been done, and what is yet to be done.
>
> Mixing assignments, TODO, agendas from all subjects, groups and
> persons into one file would give me terrible confusion.

Okay, thanks for that run-down, pretty interesting. I've written a
package called EBDB[1] that's meant to be sort of an update to BBDB, and
while I think someone's using it with tens of thousands of contacts,
192k records would probably exhaust it. It has pluggable data stores,
however, one of which will (eventually) be a proper external database,
so I'm always interested in how people are using this stuff.

Eric

[1] https://github.com/girzel/ebdb