[O] Org Version 9.2.4 Insert Template at Point Doesn't Respect :empty-li

From: Dominic Surano
Subject: [O] Org Version 9.2.4 Insert Template at Point Doesn't Respect :empty-lines Property
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 10:04:44 -0700

I recently upgraded to Org-mode version 9.2.4 from 9.1.9 and when I insert a capture template at point in an org-file using C-0 C-c c or C-0 M-x org-capture, it appears that properties :empty-lines:empty-lines-after, and :empty-lines-before are not respected. In all instances, regardless of these values, the heading is moved to the lowest possible line before the next heading. Has anyone else experienced this? I reviewed the Org-mode 9.2 Changes and nothing obvious popped out. Is there a variable I'm missing? Is there anything in that changed in org-capture that would cause this? Can anyone replicated this?

I tried the following capture-template on both versions:

(setq org-capture-templates
    '(("t" "Todo" entry (file+headline "~/org/gtd.org" "Tasks")
       "* TODO %?\n  %i\n  %a" :empty-lines 2)
      ("j" "Journal" entry (file+datetree "~/org/journal.org")
       "* %?\nEntered on %U\n  %i\n  %a")))

And received the following:

* Version 9.1.9

** First Heading
** TODO New Capture at Point

** Second Heading

* Version 9.2.4

** First Heading
** TODO New Capture at Point
** Second Heading

If it's not clear, the New Capture at Point template removes all spaces between itself and the Second Heading. I also posted this question on Reddit and StackExchange but didn't receive any responses.

--
Dominic Surano
Email is my fastest and preferred method of contact