Re: [O] org-drill futures

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [O] org-drill futures
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 16:43:17 +0100

address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:
>>
>>> I've launched an fork of org-drill. I have tried to reach Paul Sexton,
>>> the original author, and had some feedback (he was happy for my take
>>> over), but not managed to get the repository moved.
>>>
>>> https://gitlab.com/phillord/org-drill/
>>>
>>> I'd like to have this be the version that ends up in contrib. Can anyone
>>> tell me how to achieve this?
>>
>> I would suggest the opposite: move it to GNU ELPA, for example, so we
>> can remove it from contrib.
>>
>> WDYT?
>

> Yes, I am quite happy with that also -- it would save the effort of
> syncing it. It would have to be MELPA though, because I don't think we
> have papers (I can check). This does have the disadvantage of requiring
> people to update their config/installed packages, but it's probably
> okay.
>
> I'd plan to incorporate org-learn into org-drill -- I suspect everyone
> using org-learn is using it via org-drill, so winding it in makes sense,
> so I'd need to remove both.
>
> I'll see how MELPA are with adding my fork there; if they are happy,
> once that it up and running it could be pulled from contrib.

org-drill is up on MELPA now. It's been cleaned up a lot, and a few bugs
fixed. And, I have no doubt, more new ones introduced, as I have touched
about half of the lines of code.

So, I think it can come out of contrib now, and the website updated. I
have also wound in org-learn.el. How many users that on its own I do not
know, so, it's hard to know whether it needs to remain or not;
regardless, org-drill is no longer a reason for keeping it.

Cheers

Phil