Re: [O] Getting text at position?

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: [O] Getting text at position?
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2019 23:35:30 -0400

Mike Gauland <address@hidden> writes:

> I'd like to be able to be able to get the text associated with a given
> heading (based on the current point, for example).
>
> Can anyone point me to an example for doing this in the approved manner
> (assuming there is one), or to functions to help with this?

Don't trust me to give you an approved manner, but a couple of options:

  * If you just care about headlines and assuming you want all
    associated content, including the headline text itself, perhaps
    calling org-copy-subtree non-interactively will suffice.

    If that doesn't behave how you want, looking at org-copy-subtree's
    source could still give you an idea of how to do what you want in
    elisp.

  * You could use the org-element API to get the information and likely
    could easily tweak something like below to suit your needs.

     (and (ignore-errors (org-back-to-heading t))
          (let ((el (org-element-at-point)))
            (buffer-substring
             (org-element-property :begin el)
             (org-element-property :end el))))