Re: [O] Problems with inline source blocks

From: Berry, Charles
Subject: Re: [O] Problems with inline source blocks
Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 16:39:01 +0000

> On May 27, 2019, at 9:47 AM, Christian Heinrich <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> several issues with inline source blocks:

None of the behavior you cite is in the current master as of 28-may-2019:

4a383ee0f19a001b272097398b43312fc0655798

> 1) https://orgmode.org/manual/Exporting-code-blocks.html states:
>
>> The :exports header arguments control exporting code blocks only and
>> not inline code:

No mention of inline blocks in 14.6 Exporting Code Blocks. I guess that web
page needs to update or refers to something other than master.

> but
> https://orgmode.org/manual/Using-Header-Arguments.html#Using-Header-Arguments
> gives as example:
>
>> src_haskell[:exports both]{fac 5}
>
> Which one is true?

As you can verify with your test, header args do affect inline src blocks. I
believe this is consistent with the current manual.

> 2) I cannot get the results of inline blocks to be exported.
>
> When I have a file that contains:
>
>> Test: src_R[:exports results]{4*4} {{{results(=16=)}}}

This worked for me when exporting to an ascii buffer.

There were some problems starting with
5f5d82ed516b7b385a9258271becbfa247e94af3, but these were fixed long ago.

> then the code is always exported but the results are only exported up to
> 623cc4625950f84442d4cde0faa9cc3ea0233283
>
> but starting from 65ebb128bc380fe4795dedd655d6f7b685249842
> the results macro is ignored and the result never appears.
>
> Looking at online documentation (other projects) like
> https://org-babel.readthedocs.io/en/latest/eval/#inline-code-blocks I realize
> that this may be a
> problem in general (look at the Example sections, such as "The answer to 2 +
> 3 is .")
>

> 3) The source block never gets evaluated. I tried
> src_sh{touch /tmp/test21.txt}
> but this file doesn't get created, only when I execute it directly.

I ran this and it produced the file:

src_sh{touch ~/test21.txt;echo "done"}

Without the echo, export fails as touch produces no result.

> Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong, or is this actually a bug? I can't
> even get a basic
> source block like
>
> #+begin_src R :results output :session *R* :exports none
> 5*5
> #+end_src
>
> to ignore the code when exporting (but it's not evaluated).

In my test, the code is evaluated in the session, but no results are reported.

> Thanks!
> Christian

If I had to guess, I'd say there is something wrong with your installation.

If you think otherwise, an ECM that runs with only a minimal init file (that
you specify) might be helpful.

HTH,

Chuck