Re: [O] best ways to generate simple diagrams?

From: Matt Price
Subject: Re: [O] best ways to generate simple diagrams?
Date: Tue, 7 May 2019 13:22:45 -0400

These are all great.  I am struggling to some extent through the docs for all these tools.  Eric, for the most part I'm very happy with graphviz & plantufml but I would be interested in trying latex as well.  Since I'm mostly exporting to html and its derivatives (markdown mostly), I don't think epxort blocks work for my purposes.  I thought that a latex src block with :exports results would work, but rather than a rendered graph I end up with a .png of the latex instructions themselves. Here's what I am trying:

#+begin_src latex :exports results :file latex-dh.png
\begin{tikzpicture}[node distance=4cm,minimum size=2cm]
  \node[draw,fill=blue!20!white] (humanities) {Humanities};
  \node[draw,fill=blue!20!white] (tools) [right of=humanities] {\parbox{3cm}{Computing \\ Tools and \\ Methodologies}}
  edge [->,out=270,in=270,very thick,red] (humanities)
  edge [<-,out=90,in=90,very thick,red] (humanities);
\end{tikzpicture}
#+end_src

Can you see my error and/or reproduce the issue? Thanks all of you!

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 7:25 AM Fraga, Eric <address@hidden> wrote:
On Monday,  6 May 2019 at 14:17, Matt Price wrote:
> So, I'm finding more and more that I want to include simple diagrams in my
> course materials. At present I am generating them as svg's using Inkscape,
> but that feels really tiresome to me. I would much rather make them
> programmatically, preferably including the source code as an org-mode block.

You have had recommendations for graphviz (dot etc.) and plantuml
already.  Those are very good suggestions and I use them all the
time.  For more general drawings, and given that you want something
programmatic, I would also suggest tikz (in LaTeX) as it's very powerful
(but then harder to do some simple things that graphiz/plantuml will do
very easily).

#+begin_export latex
\begin{tikzpicture}[node distance=4cm,minimum size=2cm]
  \node[draw,fill=blue!20!white] (humanities) {Humanities};
  \node[draw,fill=blue!20!white] (tools) [right of=humanities] {\parbox{3cm}{Computing \\ Tools and \\ Methodologies}}
  edge [->,out=270,in=270,very thick,red] (humanities)
  edge [<-,out=90,in=90,very thick,red] (humanities);
\end{tikzpicture}
#+end_export

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.2.3-327-g3375f0