Re: [O] Parens matching off in babel code block

From: Marco Wahl
Subject: Re: [O] Parens matching off in babel code block
Date: Fri, 03 May 2019 10:20:20 +0200

Hi,

>> Using < and > as parenthesis in Org is questionable, I think.
>
> In Org syntax, < and > often come in pair (timestamps, some links,
> targets, radio targets). There is at least some interest in the current
> behaviour.

Yes, okay.

>> Also this behavior is not documented AFAICT.
>
> I don't think you can document every single detail. Even if it was
> possible, it wouldn't be desirable.

Agreed.  My statement was thought as a pointer to the possibility to
drop the <>-parenthesis-feature without touching the documentation.

>> What about removing this special?  Or does anyone enjoy this behavior?
>
> This needs to be carefully tested and weighted.

Yes, agreed.

Currently I run Org mode without the <> parenthesis using the patch:

modified   lisp/org.el
-  (modify-syntax-entry ?< "(>")
-  (modify-syntax-entry ?> ")<")
+  ;; (modify-syntax-entry ?< "(>")
+  ;; (modify-syntax-entry ?> ")<")

Up to now I don't miss the <> parenthesis.  But this is just me.

Ciao,
--
Marco