Re: [O] Porting Apple Calendars to org-mode

From: Norman Walsh
Subject: Re: [O] Porting Apple Calendars to org-mode
Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 08:44:01 -0500

Mohamed Wael Khobalatte <address@hidden> writes:
> Hi guys, I posted a question to the Emacs StackExchange
> (https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/50137/show-apple-calendar-events-in-org-mode),
> but I believe it's better asked here. Does anyone know how I can get
> my Apple calendar to show up in org-mode as readonly (preferably)?

Coincidentally, I just went through this exercise myself.

I fixed a couple of issues in icalevents[1] and then worked out how to
get the calendar details from database that the Mac actually uses to
track the calendars. I wrote icaldiary[2] to extract events from my
calendar(s) and create an emacs “diary” file which Org reads quite
happily.

> I had no luck with org-mac-iCal. Only one calendar (the Birthdays
> calendar) shows up, eventhough all other calendars are *checked*, as
> the documentation from that package requires. It is also rather old,
> so not sure if it works anymore?

Yeah, I found the same problem. I think that Apple stopped storing the
active calendar data in the plist files that org-mac-iCal checks. They
moved it into the cache which they store with sqlite3.

Hoping this is helpful…

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

[1] https://github.com/ndw/icalevents