Re: [O] Slight problems with links

From: Emmanuel Charpentier
Subject: Re: [O] Slight problems with links
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 23:18:52 +0200

Dear John,

Le lundi 29 avril 2019 à 16:57 -0400, John Kitchin a écrit :
For org-ref, there isn't much magic on what happens on export. LaTeX is certainly the most well supported, and it seems like org -> latex -> pandoc is the only way that makes sense to get to docx to me.  Using pandoc on org files directly is probably hopeless unless you can get pandoc to include some definitions for the org-ref links.

This might be difficult : the development of ox-pandoc seems to not be very active at the moment...

Some of the link types in org-ref have some exports defined for org, html, latex, sometimes ascii. If one of these works well with pandoc we could try to make them output something useful for them, or at least make sure that org->org export turns them into something useful.

I'm currently looking at the ox-latex exporter in order to understand what it does for source blocks with org's names and captions (and try to fix the fact that they are labeled and nubered as figures...). Theis understanding might help me to go in the direction you suggest.

Getting figure/table numbers has always been tricky; I don't think this worked well with pandoc, and handling it on the org side requires some preprocessing to add numbers. For now, the ox-word exporter in scimax comes closest, but it isn't a feature I use a lot, so it hasn't been improved in a while.

Again, looking at what ox-latex does for org's names and captions might be helpful. Ox-pandoc seems to do a decent job on docx output.

John

Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering