Re: [O] Interaction of Agenda with DEADLINE & SCHEDULED

From: Stephan Fabel
Subject: Re: [O] Interaction of Agenda with DEADLINE & SCHEDULED
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 15:30:54 -0700

Ihor,

On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 12:56 AM Ihor Radchenko <address@hidden> wrote:
> For example, how would one create a custom agenda view that
>
> - shows all accomplished tasks within the DEADLINE last week
> - shows all accomplished tasks that missed the DEADLINE last week
>
> Then does the same for the coming week, i.e.
>
> - show all tasks which are due in the next week, i.e., within the
>   DEADLINE
> - show all tasks which are overdue

There is org-super-agenda package
(https://github.com/alphapapa/org-super-agenda), which already have a
part of the functionality. You can use :scheduled and :deadline
selectors as a starting point to achieve what you want.

thank you for the pointer. I will definitely take a look!

> Ideally, the interaction could even be more informational, so for
> example, analysis of the available work time next week (assuming 40
> hours for example) vs. the total estimated effort of all of the above
> tasks, helping to answer the question of whether all tasks are even
> achievable given the amount of available work time.
>
> Another potential -and very valuable- analysis could be a recommendation
> of order given DEADLINE, priority and effort over a period of time, for
> example the next week. What should one do first, then second, etc. to
> maximize output over a given period of time?

What you want here is actually quite a complicated optimization problem,
which probably deserves a separate full project of its own.
I cannot comment much on this part since effort estimates never worked
for me.

Yes. I think it would be awesome if org-mode could do that. If I had the time, I'd love to take a closer look and see how one could solve for this.

Stephan