Re: [O] [ANN] Changes to link syntax

From: stardiviner
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] Changes to link syntax
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 09:04:25 +0800

> Hello,
>
> stardiviner <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi, @Nicolas, will you release a method to update all existing Org
>> file links?
>
> This is not limited to file links.
>
> There is no method that can, with certainty, convert old syntax into the
> new one. More accurately, it is possible to convert them with:
>
>     (org-link-escape (org-link-decode URI))
>
> but in some cases, it may be difficult to tell when the URI should be
> decoded in the first place.
>
> I suggest to first try the linter on a document. Once we know it detects
> with a good ratio links to convert, we can write a wrapper to also
> convert them.

I agree, but I have so many Org files.

#+begin_src sh :async
find ~/Org/ -iname "*.org" -print | wc -l
#+end_src

#+RESULTS[<2019-03-16 16:34:21> d5afbee25c7529c23db70bb758b4bb1e7bdad9a3]:
: 9872

So I have to consider a safer and larger method to upgrade link. I can't
manually open every Org files and run linter on them. (Maybe linter can run on
Org files automatically in programtically way?) Seems I can wait for better
solution now.

>> I don't know which special escaped characters need to be converted.
>
> %20, %25, %5B and %5D.

This is helpful, I will try to use external command-line tools to search and
replace them. Like ripgrep.el wapper, etc. Then use wgrep mode to query-replace.
This might be more safely.

I'm wandering whether is it possible to extract my Org links out for testing
before I really apply upgrade solution on my mess Org files. Because once I
applied method, I will lose original data. Of course I can backup all files. I
did backup them regularly about 1 week repeatedly.

Also this upgrade experience can help Org Mode figure out a flow about how to do
backward compatibility broken steps. That will reduce other user's damage. :)

Seems this will keep me spin on before new link syntax commit for a while. I
always catch up the latest Org Mode code as I like it so much.

> Regards,

Thanks for your working :)

--
[ stardiviner ]
       I try to make every word tell the meaning what I want to express.

       Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
       IRC(freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
       GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3