[O] bug? 'org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-final-hook not run

From: Thomas Plass
Subject: [O] bug? 'org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-final-hook not run
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 19:53:20 +0100

This is a question for Org API users regarding
'org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-final-hook and how it is to be understood.

As per the docstring

   This can be used to add additional functionality to the C-c C-c key
   which executes context-dependent commands.  This hook is run after
   any other test, ...

should the 'message in the hook function below be executed?

(add-hook 'org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-final-hook
          (function (lambda ()
                      (message "org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-final-hook called from %s"
                               (org-element-type (org-element-context)))
                      t)))

In fact, the hook isn't run at all, although it makes no assumptions
whatsoever about its context.

Is this the way things are intended or is this behaviour a bug?

What I'm trying to achieve is to post-process a standard Org element.
However, my target element is already taken care of by one of the
patterns in 'ctrl-c-ctrl-c, so the hook-caller is never reached.

As a workaround, I take advantage of the rest of the above docstring

   ... while ‘org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-hook’ is run before the first test.

and add to this hook a function that recursively calls
'org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c before it does its own work - which seems
incredibly kludgy.

Thanks for any feedback.

Regards

Thomas