[O] Bug: HTTP links that contain %20 get malformed to %2520 - affects OD

From: Edmund Christian Herenz
Subject: [O] Bug: HTTP links that contain %20 get malformed to %2520 - affects ODT export [9.2.1 (9.2.1-dist @ /home/ehere/emacs-scripts/org-9.2.1/lisp/)]
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 13:33:18 +0900

Hello,

Consider the following HTTP link:
http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr14/en/tools/quicklook/summary.aspx?ra=11%2054%2048.85&dec=+24%2043%2033.0

I have this link in the kill-ring, mark 'some text' in an org-mode buffer
and run org-insert-link (C-c C-l).  Then I yank the link (C-y) in the
minibuffer, and hit enter twice (since the marked text is what I want
for the description).

Now, this is what I get in the org-mode buffer:
[[http://skyserver.sdss.org/dr14/en/tools/quicklook/summary.aspx?ra=11%252054%252048.85&dec=+24%252043%252033.0][some
 text]]

As you can see the %20 gets encoded again to %2520. %25 is the % sign
defined in RFC 3986. I think we run into the problem that is mentioned
in this RFC in Sect 2.4 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986  -
i.e. encoding an decoding the % sign in URIs when it is not required, as
the URI is already formed.

Th expected behavoiour would be that the link gets inserted as is.

I never noticed this strange (and likely wrong) "under the hood"
behaviour before, as the links work fine when I open them (C-c C-o or
clicking on them in org-mode), since they get decoded again, and passed
in the right way to the browser.  Also when pressing C-c C-l on such a
link it is displayed in its originally form in the minibuffer.
Moreover, also HTML export decodes the link to its originally form.

However, when exporting to ODT, no such decoding happens - and I got
malformed URL (i.e. with %2520 instead of %20) in my ODT document.

With best regards,
Christian Herenz

P.S. Please CC me in follow-up emails, as I am not subscribed to
the mailinglist.

Edmund Christian Herenz            Office:  C6:1001
Stockholms universitet             E-Mail:  address@hidden
AlbaNova universitetscentrum       Phone:   +46 (0)85 537 8512
Institutionen för astronomi        Mobile:  +46 (0)73 670 5571
106 91 Stockholm