Re: [O] open link in source code block

From: Win Treese
Subject: Re: [O] open link in source code block
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 18:43:02 -0500

[Quoting trimmed for the most relevant context.]

> On Jan 11, 2019, at 7:12 PM, Berry, Charles <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 5, 2019, at 7:41 AM, Win Treese <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Probably expected albeit maybe not your preferred behaviour; all about
>>> precedence.  In any case, I would suggest that the easy solution would
>>> be to move such links out of the src block.

>> This seems like a slightly bigger problem, though: clicking on a highlighted
>> link doesn’t just fail to open the link, it executes the source block, which
>> can
>> have very unintended side effects.
>>
>> I wonder if the issue is an artifact of implementation rather than
>> intentional
>> design: org-open-at-mouse sets point to the location of the click and then
>> calls org-open-at-point. The documentation at points says that C-c C-o in
>> a source block opens the results of evaluation (fair enough, although the
>> docstring does not).
>>
>> So the problem seems to be about the mouse click behavior, not the basic
>> function of org-open-at-point.
>
> AFAICS, the issue is with org-open-at-point.
>
> If you really want to `fix' this, there is a hook that allows customization
> of the behavior of org-open-at-point.
>
> This snippet will add a function to that hook that will attempt to follow a
> link, when you click on a link in a src-block:

[Example code with function added to org-open-at-point-functions elided.]

Chuck,

Thanks for the code. You’re right—the proximate problem is in org-open-at-point.
Unfortunately, org-open-at-point calls org-babel-open-src-block-result first
thing,
wrapped by unless, before it gets to running the hook.

Plausible changes would be to treat this as a mouse click issue and change
org-open-at-mouse,
or to change the precedence in org-open-at-point, which Eric suggested is a way
to look
at the problem.

For the moment, I’m going to use a personal version of org-open-at-mouse, but I
still
think that running the code in a block when a URL is clicked is an unusual but
potentially big problem for someone.

Thanks,
Win